Tips and advice for Energy Saving in the Office
There many ways that we can save energy in the workplace, saving both the environment and the office budget. Businesses can help by purchasing energy efficient equipment, cutting down on waste and unnecessary energy usage.
Energy Star is a joint program of the U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and promotes energy efficient products and practices, offering advice and guidelines to help reduce energy wastage.
- When leaving the office be sure to turn off your computers, monitors, photocopiers and printers.
- Using a laptop computer uses ninety percent less energy than a desktop computer, the same is true for using an ink jet printer rather than a laser printer.
- Don’t use screen savers.
- Use products that have earned the Energy Star rating including monitors, computers, fax machines etc where possible.
- Turn out the lights when leaving the office.
- Be sure to switch off the lights in conference rooms when not in use.
- Use dimmer switches and energy efficient light bulbs.
- Use natural light where possible.
- Only print memos when necessary, emails are often sufficient. If you must print use both sides of the paper.