Notable Office Market Insights
- Ongoing recovery is the main theme, continuing the trend seen in most office markets throughout 2021.
- Positive absorption indicators.
- Slight increase in rental rates.
- Marked differences in occupancy levels, vacancy rates and general performance from city to city.
- Remote working practices are still commonplace in key markets, such as San Francisco.
- 142 million square feet of office space currently under construction.
Lease Rates & Asking Rents
Recent data from Commercial Edge outlines a nationwide rental listing rate average of $38sq/ft in January 2022. These figures may be seen as somewhat inflated due to the number of high quality spaces currently listed due to being vacant, with Class A workspaces being listed at much higher prices.
According to Avison Young, Q4 average rental prices per square foot in gateway markets were as follows:
- Manhattan: $84 sq/ft
- San Francisco: $80 sq/ft
- Washington DC: $54 sq/ft
- Atlanta: $29 sq/ft
- Boston: $38 sq/ft
- Chicago CBD: $39 sq/ft