For visitors who want to stray from the beaten path while visiting San Francisco, here are 10 activities to consider:
1. The all American game baseball is alive and well in San Francisco, California, at the AT&T Ball Park. Catch a game at one of the best baseball stadiums with a classic feel and outstanding views.
2. Not exactly in San Francisco, but 20 minutes north across the Golden Gate Bridge are ancient giant trees that are part of the Coastal Redwood Forests. They provide a relaxing walk where visitors can be inspired by the centuries old trees amid overwhelming pine scent.
3. China Town should be on every tourist’s itinerary. A visit to this area can be as structured or adventurous as each individual desires. Dim sum tea houses make great choices for a lunch stop or to grab a meal to go.
4. At the Northwestern tip of the city is Lincoln Park and one of the most scenic trail walks available anywhere. Starting from the Sutro Bath Ruins and the Cliff House walkers move along Land’s End Trail. It provides a fantastic view of Golden Gate Bridge and the bay, ending near Sea Cliff and China Beach Park.
5. Market Street is a great place to shop or just watch the locals do their shopping. The street leads straight to the Ferry Building and the Saturday outdoor farmer’s market. Many of the shops and restaurants spread into the outdoors as well along the water’s edge and the city’s piers.
6. Golden Gate Park hosts numerous attractions including the Japanese Tea Garden, Academy of Sciences, de Young Museum, and Stow Lake. Events are scheduled there throughout the year. It also provides miles of paved trails to bike or walk.
7. Visit the USS Pampanito at Pier 45, Fisherman’s Wharf. This World War II Balao Class Fleet Submarine has become a memorial and museum. Educational day and overnight programs are available for children throughout the year.
8. The Exploratorium houses ongoing exploration of art, science and human perception. It has a vast collection of interactive exhibits, web features, supervised programs, activities and events.
9. The Marrakech Magic Theater provides an unforgettable show filled with laughter and intriguing feats of magic for the whole family.
10. The Walt Disney History Museum displays many artifacts from Walt’s personal life from birth to death and all the amazing things he accomplished that continue to entertain visitors today.